If the item you have borrowed is not required by anyone else, you may extend the loan for a further period.
- Items on loan from the library will automatically renew unless they are requested.
- Items will be automatically renewed a maximum of 3 times the period of the original loan e.g. a one week loan will auto renew for three weeks.
- At the end of this period, you will need to bring the item back to the Library to prove you have not lost or damaged the item. If no one else has requested the item you can borrow it again if you need to.
- There will be an email alert when items are automatically renewed to let you know the new date they are due back.
- Items which are less than a 1 day loan (ie short loan 6hrs.) are exempt and will not be automatically renewed.
- Thesis are exempt and will not be automatically renewed
- Remember to request items you need. Automatic renewal of library books is great, but it does mean that if you need an item that is on loan to someone else you have to request it. If you don’t the loan could be extended. Requesting is simple and means that you should have to wait no longer than 7 days for the item that you need provided the customer returns the item on time.
- Automatic renewals will continue through vacation periods.
You can still renew items yourself:
- in person at a Swansea University Library Desk
- by telephone on 01792-295178 / South Wales Miners' Library on 01792 518603 /Saint David's Park Library on 01792 513838
- on the Internet. Go to http://ifind.swan.ac.ukand select Sign in at the top right of the screen. Login with your usual Swansea username and password. Select Loans and you will see the option to renew your books. After renewing the items, check the new due date and print out the page for reference in case of any problem.
The system will not allow you to renew books reserved by other borrowers, and if your books are overdue it will add the appropriate fine to your account.
If the item you want is out on loan, you can reserve a copy upon its return. You can request a reserve through your account on iFind, our online catalogue. You will need to call the Library Desk during the summer term to place a request, at (01792) 295178.
A message on iFind will show NO COPIES AVAILABLE - CHECK ITEM DETAILS for OPTIONS. By clicking on the book title it will be possible to place a request on the book. The current borrower will be asked to return the book but we cannot guarantee the date when the book will be available for you. When the book is returned to the library an email will be sent to you and the book will be kept on the reservation shelf at the Issue Desk for up to 7 days.
A few rules apply to reserving an item. You also cannot put a request on a title which you already have on loan. A maximum of 5 requests can be placed at one time, and if the number exceeds 5 an automatic stop will be put on the student’s card so that no books can be borrowed or renewed. If a book with a request is not returned on the date requested, not only will it accrue fines from that date, but an automatic stop will be put on the card.