In order to manage and draft an Athena SWAN submission, a Self-Assessment Team (SAT), or equivalent group, must be established. The SAT's role is to oversee the application process, analyse baseline data and produce an detailed action plan.
The SAT will ensure that the Athena SWAN Principles are embedded throughout the University by overseeing the implementation of the University action plan (2012-2015). The USAT will also monitor the progress of the four Working Groups that have each been tasked with overseeing a section of the action plan.
The USAT reports to the Athena SWAN Strategy Group and Equal Opportunities Committee.
Frequency of Meetings
The University Self-Assessment Team meets three times per year (once each academic term), prior to the scheduled Equal Opportunities Committee meetings.
The USAT consists of members of staff from across the University, representing each STEMM College and various central administrative departments involved in the Athena SWAN submission process.
In order to ensure all of the actions in the action plan are being progressed, four working groups have been established to oversee a section of the plan. The Working Groups will report to the USAT shall meet once a term (or more if necessary) prior to the USAT meetings. These are:
Data Working Group
The Data Working Group will manage the implementation of action points 1.1–1.3 of the University Action Plan. This includes;
- Ensuring that data fulfils Athena SWAN requirements
- Improving recruitment and promotions data
- Improving data collection and monitoring with regard to paternity leave, adoption leave, job share and the various forms of flexible working
- Ensuring completion of exit questionnaire by staff
Career Progression Working Group
The Career Progression Working Group will manage the implementation of action points 2.1, 2.2, 3.1–3.3 of the University Action Plan. This includes;
- Examining the fixed-term and permanent transfer rates of staff in SET College’s
- Organising promotions workshops, to including communication of the Academic Career Pathways Policy
- Organising confidence building strategies for women such as; confidence workshops
- Implementing a work shadowing programme and mentoring scheme
Organisation and Culture Working Group
The Organisation and Culture Working Group will manage the implementation of action points 4.1–4.6 and 6.1–6.4 of the University Action Plan. This includes;
- Conducting an Equal Pay Review
- Implementation of Line Manager Training
- Overseeing the Recognition and Reward Strategy
- Improving completion and quality of the Performance Development Reviews
- Investigating staff views and experiences with regarding to pregnant staff and staff on parental leave and producing a checklist for line managers
- Investigating awareness of job share and the various forms of flexible working (and uptake)
Communications Working Group
The Communications Working Group will manage the implementation of action points 5.1–5.3 of the University Action Plan. This includes;
- Increasing awareness of Athena SWAN amongst staff and students
- Increasing visibility of Athena SWAN (e.g. logo’s on posters, website and recruitment forms, etc) and organising a specific Athena SWAN event and network