Study Leave

The University recognises that it has a responsibility to offer support to you if you wish to extend your knowledge and skills through formal study, which in turn improves the effectiveness of the institution (within available resources and consistent with the need to maintain levels of service).

The support may include:

  • Time off to attend classes
  • Time off to prepare for examinations
  • Time off to sit examinations
  • Financial contribution to tuition fees and travel/subsistence expenses
  • Provision of appropriate resources to aid the course of study

Time off to attend classes and time off for associated study

You should discuss requests for study leave with your line manager. To assist such discussions, and when determining the amount of study leave to be given, the following factors should be taken into account:

  • The length of the course / period of study;
  • The length, type and frequency of exam(s), and the amount of associated revision required;
  • The volume and type of coursework;
  • Workload;
  • Staffing levels and available cover;

You may request time away from work to undertake various training or study. If you have at least 26 weeks’ continuous service you have a statutory right to request time for any form of training which you believe will improve your effectiveness in the organisation. This may take the form of either accredited programmes leading to a qualification or unaccredited training to help you develop specific skills relevant to your job.

Although you may request time to undertake training, there is no right to be paid for the time spent training where a request is agreed, nor is there any requirement for the costs of the training to be met by the University. Managers may consider meeting such requests where sufficient funds are available within the department’s budget and where it is deemed appropriate to do so.

Where the course of study is one which has been approved by the Head of College/Department as being job-related and/or career-related, the Head of College/Department may approve study leave of absence for up to the equivalent of 30 working days in any one year (August – July), provided that to do so would not have a significant detrimental effect on the level of service which the department could provide.

Time off to sit examinations

Where an examination falls on a working day, if you have pursued an approved course you will be entitled to a day’s leave for that examination.

Financial support for study and study leave

Departmental funds may be used to pay some or all of the costs associated with an approved course of study. Application may be made to the Individual Training Fund, administered by Development and Training Services at the Academic and Professional Enhancement Centre, Swansea. This fund can pay for up to 50% of the costs of an approved course (subject to a maximum percentage equal to that provided by the department/service).

Other forms of support

Heads of department/service shall do their best to ensure that if you are following an approved course you have appropriate University resources.

Outcomes of training and development

After participation in any form of training or development, it is expected that you would discuss with your line manager what has been learned or gained and how this can be applied in the job and, as appropriate, shared with others.  All training and development undertaken should also be discussed as part of probationary and staff review processes.

Appeal process

Staff who feel that they have been unreasonably refused the right to study leave or who feel that they have been victimised for requesting leave should, in the first instance raise the matter with their line manager and inform their HR Officer. They can also consult with their union and have the right to raise the matter through the grievance procedure.

Further Information and Downloads